Welcome to the start of our monthly communication for personalized and proficiency-based learning in our schools. We know you have lots of questions as we work toward implementation of proficiency-based learning in our schools by the start of the 2017-18 school year.
We are pleased to announce some tools to help us understand proficiency-based learning:
- A proficiency FACT sheet is available at your child’s school.
- Monthly updates & information will be available through this blog.
There are several things to keep in mind as we embark on the Road to Proficiency:
- While development of proficiency assessment and grading is a work in progress, student learning and our academic rigor will remain constant.
- All four schools are working on various elements of proficiency-based learning. You may have already seen some of the tools we have created such as proficiency scales, and you can expect to see more in the near future.
- While Act 77 requires us to move to proficiency-based learning, it is also designed to be flexible and allow us to implement in ways that meet the needs of all our students, teachers, and schools.
Going forward, as we implement new tools for learning in the classroom, we will continue to provide information and updates and invite you to speak with us along the way.