Monday, May 5, 2014

Teacher Appreciation Day

Tuesday, May 7th is National Teacher Appreciation Day!  How do we celebrate the thousands of men and women who commit to teaching our country's children and in doing so, work daily to touch the future?  Thanking a teacher is a simple place to start.  It is sort of like the bumper sticker says, "If you can read this, thank a teacher."

When I think about my own teachers as I went through my years of school there are many who stand out for me in terms of having made a difference in my life.  I think of Miss Crow, my 5th grade teacher, who brought her guitar with her to school and taught us songs such as Charlie and the MTA and The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down.  Mr. Corey, in 6th grade, encouraged us all to be authors, of "books," not just papers or assignments!  We stayed in for recess to keep on writing for him. I could go on and on, as I'm sure so could you, when you think about some meaningful teachers you encountered.  If you can help your student think about a teacher, current or in the past, and find a way to thank them, it goes a long way!
Teaching is art. 
Teaching is science. 
Teaching is joy. 
Teaching is struggle. 
Teaching is growth. 
Teaching is life.
~ Jessica Keigan